Thursday, January 21, 2010

Mad Marge- Singer: Mad Marge and the Stonecutters



Mad Marge is the front woman for the psychobilly band Mad Marge and the Stonecutters. The band has been gaining in popularity over the last few years, even playing a spot at one of the major world psychobilly festivals, the Satanic Stomp, in Speyer, Germany in 2006. This coincided with the Hollywood Monsters tour which the band undertook with fellow American psychobilly bands Rezurex and The Henchmen. The band has also performed at the Californian showcase: The Hollywood Showdown. Mad Marge and the Stonecutters are currently signed to Baseline Music, and their popularity is sure to grow even more and so it is likely that Marge's position as a role model to girls will also grow.


Marge and Daniel de Leon (Rezurex)

As most fans of The Stoncutters would know, Mad Marge is a stage name. The band name was drawn from an episode of the Simpsons ('Homer The Great': episode 12 of season 6), as the band are huge fans of the cartoon. On her own stage name, Marge has this to say: 'In our strange little family I was clearly a 'mother' figure and Marge seemed appropriate, there is also an episode that features the 'Mad Marge dancers' after she has a breakdown ('It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge': episode 21 of season 11). I am definitely a different person when I'm on stage and that's why I chose to have a stage name.' Creating a distinction between on and off stage persona's seems like a good way to break free artistically onstage.



Amongst Marge's top music are The Cramps, Billie Holiday, Mad Sin, Detroit Cobras and Nekromantix. For her being a subcultural girl is to be normal; 'I don't happen to like popular music or fashion or mainstream crap, so to me it means just being normal.' Many girls can probably relate to this, because they live the life the way they want and aren't necessarily focused on being subcultural- it is just who they are. Making music has been a long time love for Marge: 'I was always around music as a little girl, I think my dad had every record ever made and that made me a music junkie at a young age. It wasn't until I was about 12 that I realized that I wanted to make music and I knew I would eventually do it one day. A year later I was in my first band.' This experience shows in the music of The Stonecutters as Marge has a strong vocal ability and this seems to draw in some fans.



Psychobilly has traditionally been a male dominated music genre- think of the big names, Demented Are Go, Mad Sin, Batmobile, Nekromantix, Guana Batz, The Meteors etc- they all create pretty masculine music with strong male vocals. It seems to be in recent years more females are taking to the stage particularly in the American arena. Bands like Horrorpops, Speed Crazy, Thee Merry Widows, The Deadutantes, The Formaldebrides etc seem to be inspiring more girls to give it a shot. Marge says that 'Psychobilly has had strong male dominance through out it's history but it has gained quite a bit of popularity in the U.S. in the last few years and I think with more females in the audience it is no surprise there are more females taking part in making the music.' This is a very true statement as there seems to be a lot of young girls interested in psychobilly out there- myspace is evidence of this.



Marge finds inspiration for her music anywhere and everywhere: 'Writing for me is pretty organic and lyrics just kind of come out. I just start writing and then interpret the meaning later. I like writing about everything, The Stonecutters first record had a real macabre feel to it, the newer songs have a little more depth to them. I never know what I'm going to come up with, that's the fun part.' Having a variety of inspiration would inevitably keep interest in the band from both the musicians and the fans point of view. However, getting out on tour seems to be the best part. Marge says: 'I love being on tour and wish I was touring right now! I love talking to fans and supporters and finding out how they heard about us. Everyone is always so freaking nice, not really used to that living in a town of bitter 9 to 5 commuters. But there are always those random drunk guys that think it is ok to cross the line, luckily I always have my husband (guitarist Matt) by my side on the road!' Being able to travel with her partner must be a great emotional support to Marge as well.



On the topic of their progressive boost in popularity Marge had the following to say: 'I think it's great, we have some really great fans that have been supporting us since the beginning and we are so thankful and appreciative of them. I think it's amazing each time we play to see new faces in the crowd singing to our songs, it makes it worth while for me.' The fans are surely equally appreciative of getting the chance to see someone so down to earth and willing to please and interact with them. Marge's ultimate ambition to do with her musical career is to 'dominate the world', said with a laugh and a grin. At the rate the band is going, who knows!



As for all you aspiring female musicians out there, Marge has the following message for you: 'I never would have considered myself to be a role model, but as the selection of female rockers dwindles I guess that could become a possibility. If there are any girls who are aspiring musicians who look to me then I give them this: give it your all, every time, and do it with conviction. Don't ever let anybody talk you down for doing what you love. As long as you are confident in yourself it will be worth while, the most important part is having fun.' And fun certainly seems to be what Marge is having with her musical career.



You can check out the band's music at their myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/thestonecutters



Article written by Sally Kingsley

No comments:

Post a Comment